Company of Heroes developer Relic is giving away a free game in celebration of its 25th anniversary, although it’s not one of their flagship titles.
Armor of Heroes is a top-down multiplayer arcade shooter that pits you and three other players against each other in rudimentary tank-busting skirmishes. There are nine game modes to choose from, a selection of maps and vehicles to switch between, and even the option to play in PvP, co-op, or AI multiplayer.
The game was originally released in October 2020 to celebrate the 60th anniversary of Sega (Relic’s parent company), but was only available to claim for a limited time before being removed from the Steam store. It’s back now, however, and can be acquired by creating a Relic community account and linking it to your Steam profile. You’ll have to be quick as the promotion ends today (June 23).
We wouldn’t worry too much if you were late for the party. As a multiplayer arcade shooter, the game’s only similarity to the Company of Heroes series is its name and theme. The arcade game wasn’t even made by Relic, but by a small studio called The Eccentric Ape, which specializes in porting games between systems.
Don’t expect the free game to get you down or find someone waiting on their online servers. But if you enjoy a few free minutes of vehicular arcade warfare with your friends, it might be worth it.
How to claim the Armor of Heroes
If you want to get Armor of Heroes, here’s what you need to do:
- go to the Company of Heroes community site (opens in new tab) and create a free account
- Click on the Armor of Heroes banner at the top of the page which will take you to a rewards screen
- Follow the instructions to link your Relic and Steam accounts
- Go back to the rewards page and click “claim” to add Armor of Heroes to your Steam account
- Launch Steam and download the game through your library
Now you can blast your way through WWII arenas to your heart’s content.